Prescribed fire resources are becoming ever more available online, and these are some of the best resources we have found. We assembled the following “tool box” of additional learning resources to increase the outreach, education, safety, and capacity of prescribed fire. Be sure to email us with any other helpful resources we may have missed!
Research and Data
- Prescribed Fire – What are Other States Doing? This interactive web map, co-developed by Stacey Marion, provides an overview of what each state is doing as it relates to prescribed fire. Overview topics include legislation, certification programs, liability, permits, and more.
- 2014 Wisconsin Prescribed Fire Needs Assessment
- Update to Wisconsin Prescribed Fire Needs Assessment. This interactive web story assessment, developed by Stacy Marion, seeks to quantify current prescribed fire needs, and offer an approach to prioritizing application of prescribed fire based on ecological benefit, feasibility, and management effort.
- WDNR Prescribed Fire Dashboard. This interactive dashboard displays WDNR planned, active, and past prescribed burns as well as burns on federal lands.
- Fire Learning Network (FLN). The FLN elps people work together to increase the capacity and social capital needed to build ecosystem and community resilience. FLN landscape collaboratives engage in a range of multi-agency, community-based projects to restore landscapes that depend on—or are susceptible to—fire. By sharing decision-making and responsibility among stakeholders, the ecological, economic and social values provided by healthy landscapes are maintained, and the negative consequences of wildfire can be reduced. To stay up to date with network activities, subscribe to the FLN Networker e-newsletter (email lrank @ tnc.org) and to the FAC Learning Network blog (http://fireadaptednetwork.org/blog/).
- University of Wisconsin Stevens Point – Wisconsin Forestry Center. The Wisconsin Forestry Center (WFC) is dedicated to serving the needs of Wisconsin’s forestry community through partner-driven professional and workforce development, applied research, and community outreach initiatives that promote vibrant, sustainable forests and forest-based economies. They also offer a Prescribed Fire for Forest Management Webinar Series. This webinar series will explore several facets of prescribed fire related to forests and forest management. We have invited speakers to provide their perspectives and offer advice on how we can advance prescribed fire as a forest management tool in the future.
- Coalition of Prescribed Fire Councils
- Alabama Prescribed Fire Council
- Arkansas Prescribed Fire Council
- Colorado Prescribed Fire Council
- Michigan Prescribed Fire Council
- Georgia Prescribed Fire Council
- Minnesota Prescribed Fire Council
- Missouri Prescribed Fire Council
- Mississippi Prescribed Fire Council
- Louisiana Prescribed Fire Council
- Illinois Prescribed Fire Council
- Indiana Prescribed Fire Council
- Prairie Rivers of Iowa
- Pennsylvania Fire Council
- New Hampshire Prescribed Fire Council
- New Mexico Prescribed Fire Council
- Nevada Prescribed Fire Council
- North Carolina Prescribed Fire Council
- Nebraska Prescribed Fire Council
- Kansas Prescribed Fire Council
- Oklahoma Prescribed Fire Council
- Oregon Prescribed Fire Council
- Utah Prescribed Fire Council
- South Carolina Prescribed Fire Council
- Ohio Prescribed Fire Council
- Florida Regional Prescribed Fire Councils
- Kentucky Prescribed Fire Council
- Tennessee Prescribed Fire Council
- Washington Fire Council
- Virginia Prescribed Fire Council
- Wyoming Prescribed Fire Council
- Fire Effects Information System (FEIS)
- Fire as a Tool for Controlling Invasive Plants – Center for Invasive Species Management
- Fire as a Tool for Controlling Invasive Plants – Invasive Plants Association of Wisconsin (IPAW)
- Fire Research and Management Exchange System
- Wildland Fire in Ecosystems: Effects of Fire on Flora (8.18 MB)
- Wildland Fire in Ecosystems: Effects of Fire on Fauna (1.36 MB)
- Wildland Fire in Ecosystems: Effects of Fire on Air (1.02 MB)
- Wildland Fire in Ecosystems: Effects of Fire on Soils and Water (11.63 MB)
- Fire and Forestry Scholarships and Financial Aid Guidebook. This was guide was created to let students know what resources are available for them in pursuing their education. Some of the highlights from this guide include: Fire science scholarships; Where to find grants and loans; Benefits of pursuing degrees in fire science.
- TNC for Teachers – Nature Works Everywhere
- Prescribed Fire: An Effective Land Management Tool DVD. Produced with a Rural Community Assistance Grant under USDA National Fire Plan. This educational video explains why we burn and how to safely conduct a burn. Produced here in Wisconsin with assistance from the DNR, The Nature Conservancy, Pheasants Forever, Glacierland Resource Conservation and Development, Michigan Association of Timberman, and Forest Service. Please send a check in the amount of $15.00 payable to Renewable Resources, LLC 1353 W. Hwy 2 Cyrstal Falls, MI 49920. Contact Don Peterson or phone at 877-284-3882 for more information.