As members of the Wisconsin Prescribed Fire Council (WPFC) we strive to make the use of prescribed fire in Wisconsin safer and more accepted for all practitioners. We agree to conduct prescribed fire related activities in a professional manner and strive to follow the standards established by the Council.
Members will strive to enhance the public perception of prescribed fire. When appropriate, we will work cooperatively with government agencies, for-profit businesses, private individuals, and non-profit conservation organizations to accomplish our goals of using, promoting, and enhancing prescribed fire as a land management tool in Wisconsin.
Members agree that the Council endorses two alternative sets of prescribed fire crew training requirements: self-regulation according to Council standards or compliance with National Wildfire Coordinating Group requirements.
The specific purposes of the WPFC are to:
- Make the use of prescribed fire safer and more accepted for all practitioners
- Provide a unified voice representing the prescribed fire community in Wisconsin
- Promote the use of prescribed fire as a land management tool in Wisconsin
- Educate practitioners and the general public
- Enhance the public perception of prescribed fire
- Promote professionalism in the prescribed fire community
- Encourage cooperation among non-profit conservation organizations, government agencies, for-profit businesses and private individuals.